Web Analytics
grannie very confused... need tech assistance

News:

Main Menu

grannie very confused... need tech assistance

Started by ChillyWilly, November 10, 2009, 07:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChillyWilly

ok, I finally got around to setting up my desktop.  remember that it has been carted around the country with me, and has not been used for a year....
anyway, I pluged everything in right where it was when everything was working right, (had it all labled), and started it up.

got this message:

1806  PCI / PnP  ERROR !  Resource Conflict  PCI in slot 03, Bus:02, Device OE, Function:00

then when it booted up, everything worked but the sound

tried to play music, got a message that there was no sound device.

I have a great set of speakers, and really, really, want to listen to my music.

(grannie misses her Metallica)

any ideas out there from someone who has a clue?  cause I sure don't...

Dag

pc config?
any external device (key, hd, external cd etc)?

try this one...
At the time of my problem, there was another addition to my set-up that I did not bother to mention : a USB external drive.

There is a sequence that generates the problem, and a somewhat reverse sequence that solves it.

When powering off the external drive without "Safely removing hardware", and then shutting down the computer, the problem is actually occuring during next booting !!

The way to get aroud this problem is simply powering on the external drive after boot-up, then shutting down computier via Start, and finally powering off the external drive :  next boot-up, the problem is solved !!

I've been able to reproduce the problem (and solving it) over and over again.

ps: i had similar problem in past and guess what?
motherboard has  2-3 pci slot right?

DON'T use the one just under slot for VGA card. (don't ask me why. i don't know, i just changed slot, using the last one and all worked fine)
ribadiamo che siamo contari a tutte queste cose della parità
PERCHE ????
le donne vogliono la parità sessuale....ma..boia della vigliacca NON SIAMO PARI.
c'è una bella differenza fra tenere aperto il sacco e sbadilarci dentro

PALMIRO SEI UN DIO !!!!
zelig. 23/02/10

ChillyWilly

omg, I think I did use the external drive last time it was set up, and that could be it!
damn it, got a pile of stuff I have to do today before I can work on it... but I'll try it first chance I get.
keep your fingers crossed, I'll let you know if it works.

Dag

ribadiamo che siamo contari a tutte queste cose della parità
PERCHE ????
le donne vogliono la parità sessuale....ma..boia della vigliacca NON SIAMO PARI.
c'è una bella differenza fra tenere aperto il sacco e sbadilarci dentro

PALMIRO SEI UN DIO !!!!
zelig. 23/02/10

ChillyWilly

damn.  took the time to try it anyway.
tried it twice... no change.
this is nuts.  it worked fine before the move from Minnesota, and it worked when Jo borrowed it when her's broke down...but they didn't use my speakers and stuff, just the tower...  if they used an external drive, and took it off "wrong", I'd have to try this with the same one they used?  or should it work with mine?

PanzerKunst

Quote from: ChillyWilly on November 10, 2009, 03:30:34 PM
damn.  took the time to try it anyway.
tried it twice... no change.
this is nuts.  it worked fine before the move from Minnesota, and it worked when Jo borrowed it when her's broke down...but they didn't use my speakers and stuff, just the tower...  if they used an external drive, and took it off "wrong", I'd have to try this with the same one they used?  or should it work with mine?
if you  had moved the tower take a look to the pci slots. do you have a external sound card on the pci slot? remove the device and put it again (if you want on another slot ), with no fear to broke something. If that dont work, take the driver disc and reinstall the sound card drivers (or download it from internet)

Finisterre

It's gonna be easier to find the solution if you know the device making resource confliction.

You can find the properties of the device, "Bus:02, Device OE, Function:00", in device manager (in general tab)
Then with products name or code w/e and "resource conflict", I think you can search solutions more accurate.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTUwqxHpXMY]Dancing Android - new Sony Xperia Arc cellphone[/url]

ChillyWilly

Quote from: PanzerKunst on November 10, 2009, 05:14:06 PM
if you  had moved the tower take a look to the pci slots. do you have a external sound card on the pci slot? remove the device and put it again (if you want on another slot ), with no fear to broke something. If that dont work, take the driver disc and reinstall the sound card drivers (or download it from internet)

lolz... guys, it took me an hour to figure out how to open the tower... I look inside and I'm scared to touch anything...I have no clue how to pull out anything, or if I would be able to put it back...  you see, I've always had my son do this kind of stuff, (while I took a long walk so I wouldn't panic) and now he's hundreds of miles away... 
Thanks anyway for trying, guess I'll have to find someone who's not afraid to mess with it's guts to help me in person ...  :)

kang

make a bios reset (you can do it at boot, usually hitting "del" key then "restore defaults")
if you can't, you have to change a jumper on the board.. i doubt you wanna do that if you can't touch the cards ^^

otherwise just get a tech support, cost some but you're safe

for the pull out (*sigh*), everything but the graphic card (the biggest card) can be pulled freely, just pull a little harder if it doesnt come. the graphic card sometimes has plastic lockers you don't wanna break (will still work but the card wont be secured in the slot anymore)

loXol

open your tower
take a picture with your camera
host the pict in image hack
and post it here

will be easier to show what card u need to move or re-insert
Quote from: pieh on April 08, 2008, 12:07:43 AM
i like the result of aden siege: Hexa, one of few clans that really deserve (i mean overall not only pvp/siege skills) to have castles

6bIK

Quote from: loXol on November 11, 2009, 02:32:18 PM
open your tower
take a picture with your camera
host the pict in image hack
and post it here

will be easier to show what card u need to move or re-insert

good idea, wanna see that :)

Quote from: =^TrackZero^= on January 09, 2013, 10:44:54 PMi removed ur sig for obvious reasons....same goes for 6bik
im Edited :D

ChillyWilly

Quote from: 6bIK on November 11, 2009, 02:53:09 PM
good idea, wanna see that :)

you sure?  it'll give you nightmares, even now, after I blew out some of the dust dragons.....(MUCH too large to call them dust bunnies.......)

btw, I would assume the card in question is the one I plug the speakers into...